Follow my blog

Monday 18 June 2012

Day 12: Cosmos European Adventure: Following the herd…down to Greece.. on holidays


Arrivederci Roma!  I didn’t want to leave Rome, but it was time to head down to Greece.  I was really looking forward to going to Greece.  It was the second reason I chose this tour – to see the Acropolis/Parthenon.

Leaving Rome we headed across to the east coast (only took 1.5 hours!) to the port of Ancona to catch the ferry to Patras.  We were originally told our ferry crossing would take 17 hours.  Latest update was it was going to take 22 hours because it was a costsaving measure.  Going slower apparently means they use less fuel.  Wasn’t this a comforting feeling.  Needless to say as soon as I entered my cabin I made sure I checked where my lifejacket was!

We were told by Leo prior to boarding that the Captain would put on a welcome drink for us and they always give us a glass of Ouzo….. woo!  Imagine our dismay when we go for our Ouzo only to be given a Fruit Cocktail drink… NO ALCOHOL!!!!!!  Obviously more cost cutting measures :::grumble:::  But they did give us lots of free nuts.  Yes we were awake up to them…. We eat nuts, we get thirsty, we buy lots of funny water.  They make money.  In desperation I had a Baileys on ice and like many others in our group made my way back to the cabin to catch up on some much needed sleep.  I must admit I like sleeping on a boat.  The sensation of moving does make it easy to drift of to sleep.  Though one did not like being woken up by the loud bang during the night and laying there waiting for the sirens to start.  I wasn’t the only one in our group who heard it.  One person wondered if we ran over a speed bump.


No comments:

Post a Comment