Follow my blog

Wednesday 13 June 2012

Day 9 – God Save the Queen…. A fascist regime


This was my second last day in London for this week.  Today I decided it was time to for this Irish/Australian Republican to do some royal sightseeing.  I can just imagine my dad upstairs lamenting “why is she off to see those bloody parasites?”

Caught the tube to Piccadilly Circus making my way down to Admiralty Arch.  Here I tried to find (as reported on a website or two) Wellington’s Spare Nose.  I think someone may have been pulling the leg of a few tourists because I sure as hell couldn’t find it.

Proceeded up the Pall Mall and popped into the ICA (Institute of Contemporary Art).  I sat in there for a while and watched a very interesting installation on TV/Advertising from the 1960s/70s.

After I left the ICA I decided it was time to head up to “Buck House”.  Very soon I discovered “something” was happening today as the Pall Mall had become a car park with blokes wearing tails and the ladies in all their finery and hats.  Also spotted Robbie Williams Production crew milling about.  I guess something to do with the Jubilee concert this weekend.  Made it up to Buckingham Palace to learn that there was a Garden Party happening with the Queen…. 8,000 people were apparently invited….. what? Where was my invite?  I’m a relucatant subject…. Why wasn’t I invited?  I also learnt later that lil Johnny Howard was in town to receive yet another award from Liz Windsor.  So yeah, had a chance to sledge him :::sigh:::

Stood around gawking / people watching for a while.  I don’t think I spotted anyone famous.  I think I may have spotted William Hague (Britain’s foreign minister) but wasn’t sure.  I only recognise him because he was in Brisvegas with KRudd during the floods.

I got sick of watching the “special” people so heading up Buckingham Palace Road and visited the Queen’s Gallery to see the Leonardo Da Vinci exhibit.  It was a lot of his anatomical drawings.

After that I headed into the Royal Mews.  Some beautiful horses in there…. And I’ll edit my Republican rant re the extravagance of some of those carriages!

Headed back to Islington after this…. I’m starting to get around town on the public transport like a real local.  Not to mention people are starting to ask me for directions.  Hello!!!!!  Doesn’t the camera in my hand scream “Tourist”?


No comments:

Post a Comment