Follow my blog

Monday 18 June 2012

Day 16: Cosmos European Masterpiece: She Came from Greece she had a thirst for knowledge


OK I was ready to leave Athens but not before this morning’s sightseeing with our local guide, Vicki.

First up we left the hotel and drove past some pretty impressive buildings.  Our first stop was at the stadium that was built for the first Modern Olympics in 1896.  We were given 5 minutes there to take some photos before getting back on the bus on our next stop…. The Acropolis!

I was hoping I would survive this visit “incident free”.  We followed Vicki who took us the “easier” way which involved a straight walk halfway up the hill passing Mars Hill.  St Paul preached to the Ephesians there.  Well I think she said the Ephesians.  It was hard to tell with her Greek accent / the different way Greeks pronounce things.  We made it to the top of the Acropolis.  I swear it must have been the windiest day ever.  I was fearing reports of “Australian Woman swept off Acropolis by gale force wind”.  Some people in our group got to the top took a photo and made their way back down again.  I persisted.  I made it to the top and I was going to take it all in.  At the  end Vicki gave us time to stay up there for photos but I had taken all the photos I wanted and Theresa from our group had had enough so we started our descent.  Thank goodness I had her with me otherwise I suspect Leo may have been filling out another incident report for me.  Seriously who thought marble steps were a good idea?  Slippery as!  A few people were slipping on them but fortunately none of us had any falls.

We got up and down the Acropolis just in time.  As we were leaving heaps more buses were arriving.  It would have been so busy up there after we had left.

As I got to the bus Leo was hanging out the door screaming “Jackie, did you make it?”  I said I did.  He was giving me the thumbs up saying I was a legend.  Before we made the ascent I asked if I couldn’t make it could I come down again?  He said if you don’t make it I will kill you.  Ummm okay.

So Acropolis/Parthenon ticked off my bucket list.   We only had one more stop before we left Athens… Parliament House to see the changing of the guard.  I didn’t think we were going to see Parliament House up close.  I was disappointed but thought I’d live.  So I was happy we were getting to see the changing of the guard after all.  You know the skirt those guards wear have 400 pleats?  Wouldn’t that be a bitch to iron!  I still love their shoes and their march.  It looks like something out of Monty Python.  I had my photo taken with one of the guards.  I asked the army dude in the khaki if the bear could be in the photo.  He couldn’t.  The Greeks seem to have some funny rule about “posing”.  Good thing I asked.  The last thing I would want would be to be standing there with “the bear” to have the guard stomping the butt of his rifle on the ground when he was displeased.  For example, when the Aussie wanker (there’s always one) on the tour saluted as he posed for his photo with the guard.  The next minute the guard is stomping his rifle on the ground and the army guy in his khakis asked for the photo to be deleted.  The Greeks are sensitive alright! 

OK I’ve seen basically everything I wanted to see in Greece…. You can get me out now!

So off we went heading back the way we came to the port of Patras.  We stopped off at the Corinth Canal for lunch.  We were in for a treat.  Apparently when ships come in to the canal there is a bridge that goes under the water to a depth of 8m to allow the boats to pass.  As we arrived at the cafĂ© for lunch a boat was going through the canal so we got to see the bridge coming out of the water.  The lunch was ok.  There were a lot of cats roaming around meowing for food.  It broke my heart.  It also made me miss Psycho Pussy!  Funny, I’m not homesick yet, but I’m missing the cat!

Back on the bus we finally make it to Patras only to learn the ferry was half an hour late.  Then by the time we got on the ferry it was another half hour late leaving.  We were to have another welcome drink hosted by the Captain.  I made it into our cabin but for the last few days I’ve been feeling like the lurgy that has been going around our bus is trying to hit me (that or I’m getting tonsillitis).  I suddenly felt really tired so I took some Ibuprofen for my throat (everything else I thought of taking is in my suitcase that is on the bus which is in the hull) and got into my jammies and went to bed.  I have since learnt they served ouzo last night.  I KNEW that would happen.

Oh well Italia…. I’m coming back!


No comments:

Post a Comment