Follow my blog

Tuesday 19 June 2012

Day 18: Cosmos European Masterpiece: San Marino - Venezia

Well this morning we awoke to the view we weren't supposed to have!  Because my roomie and I had one of the crap rooms in Sorrento our Tour Director "promised" us that we would get one of the best rooms in San Marino.  Hmmm..... I looked out our window to see a brick wall!  But if I did stand at the window and look out to my right I did see an amazing view.  But I didn't complain.  Really I am only in the room to sleep.... and check my email.... and check out facebook.... and upload photos.... and write a blog, I don't REALLY need an amazing view (though it would have been nice).

After breakfast our Tour Director took us on the "Clayton's Tour" of San Marina... yes, that's the tour you have when you're not having a tour.  Apparently Tour Director's aren't supposed to be tour guides. We won't tell :o)  We basically visited the main square, watched the changing of the guard in the Parliament House (not as impressive as the Greek Parliament aka Monty Python's Ministry for Funny Walks) then went up to a lookout for an amazing view of San Marino/Italy.

We then had a few minutes for some free time to take some happy snaps before our TD took us to a chemist to stock up on drugs.  In San Marino (well at this pharmacy anyway) you didn't need prescriptions.  So considering the lurgy is going through the bus like wildfire we all stocked up on amoxycillin.  After our busload of passengers had been through the chemist it is now suspected that the pharmacist can now shut up shop and retire!

Stocked up on drugs (for medicinal purposes of course!) we wandered back to the hotel to grab our hand luggage and waited for the dedicated time of departure.  We all got rather bored senseless as we were all pretty much standing around for half an hour waiting.... then of course on top of that, Rocco was late bringing the bus up the mountain!

On the bus we went and finally hooned up the SS309 towards Venezia.  We had a lunch stop at some village (Pomoza?) that had a bell tower from the 10th century.  The lunch was rather ordinary.

We made it to Venezia around 4pm and had about 1.5 hours to recuperate before a group of us went out on our optional of a dinner and sightseeing around Venice.  We caught the boat (with another Cosmos Group) over to the historic centre.  Leo had us walking around the back streets.  Prior to this day I never really rated Venice has highly as Florence or Rome.  I have since changed my mind.  I want to come back and get lost in Venice and take in everything in all those back streets!

Finally we made it to our restaurant where we had our four course dinner (too much food!).  the food was nice but it was stinking hot in the restaurant.  one of the head waiters turned the fan on over us.... yay!  But when the main meal came out he turned it off.  When we were all nearly passing out in the heat we asked for it to be turned on again.  We were advised it was "broken".  Yeah right.  the reason was more like they didn't want to pay the electricity!  We also had a very cute waiter.  He was hot!.... and I'm not talking about the fact he was constantly mopping his brow!

For the Posse I have a new manoeuvre for us..... The Gloria Manoeuvre.  While leaving the restaurant one of the older ladies in the group tripped and literally fell into the arms of a waiter.  Sly move there Glo!  I think I may have to use that Manoeuvre!

After dinner Leo took us on a detour back to the boat via some more back streets and onto St Mark's Square where everything was lit up.  Alas it was time to make our way back to the boat to catch the ferry back to where our bus was parked on the mainland to take us back to our hotel.... and in the last 20 days I had the best sleep ever on this tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment