Follow my blog

Monday 18 June 2012

Day 7: Cosmos European Masterpiece: Grasse – Pisa - Florence


Today we left the French Riviera and were heading for the next stage in our tour…… ITALY!  I could not wait to get back to Italia.  It stole my heart in 1993 and I was really looking forward to seeing Firenze again.

Before we left France we stopped into the Fragonard perfume factory near Grasse.  Not a good place to go when you have a bit of a sensitive nose!  Fortunately I didn’t have a sneezing fit but my nose was glad to get out of there.  In the factory we were shown how they made perfumes and soaps before being let loose in the shop where we were seduced by everything being sold at “factory prices”.  I didn’t expect to purchase any fragrances as I’m not really a floral perfume person.  I’m more into the woody perfumes.  But they had one that had musk in it.  So I ended up buying the smallest bottle of it and some Argan oil.

Time to leave France and into Italy.  We drove through Carrara where we could see Marble quarries high up on some mountains.  It actually looked like there was snow on the mountain tops!  We had a brief stop in Genoa because we had to drop off a suitcase (can’t remember where we picked it up?) for someone on another tour.  Apparently it belonged to someone who was on their honeymoon and the husband ended up in hospital.  We never got told the full story, so not sure what happened there.

After being taunted by Leo that we were passing the turn off to go to the Cinque Terre we arrived in Pisa.  From the bus we caught a shuttle bus up to where the Leaning Tour was.  Leo said we would be given free time to look around before meeting back at the shuttle bus.  As we were walking to the Tower Jax was taking note of the surroundings so she wouldn’t get lost.  This was a fatal error of judgement on her part.  One minute Jax was walking along, the next minute Jax was flat on the ground.  Jax rolled her ankle on a dodgy part of footpath and down she went.  According to people behind me I came down pretty hard.  Leo wanted me to go to the doctor but I said I was fine.  I knew I hadn’t broken anything but I sure as hell re-aggravated my osteoarthitic knees.  But I managed to hobble around the Leaning Tower and back to the shuttle bus / bus.

We eventually all make it back on the bus and head to Florence.  This is where it became evident that this part of the tour was poorly planned.  We made it to our hotel in Florence at 5:30pm to be told we were leaving at 6:00pm for a tour of a leather factory and walking tour.  It was too much for a lot of the older people on the tour.  For myself I felt up for it, I wasn’t tired.  It was just my knees that were protesting after the “Pisa Incident”.  But I wasn’t going to let that stop me.  The visit to the leather factory was ok.  I had been there before and I refrained from buying a new handbag.  That was helped by the fact no bags were really grabbing me.  It was then time for the walking tour.  We met our guide outside the Santa Croce proclaiming how beautiful it was inside and all of the people buried inside and then said “next time you are in Florence you must go inside”.  What?  We’re not going IN?  I was disappointed.  Yes, I had been in there before, but that was 19 years ago.  I wanted to go in again!  Epic fail Cosmos!  We then headed up to my favourite square, Signoria Square.  Each time I’ve been there I remember the fight scene from A Room With a View.  Plus second time in Rome and still I have not seen the real Michelangelo’s “David”, only the replica in the Square.  We then proceeded up to The Lucky Pig (yes, I rubbed its snout for a second chance for good luck) and also walked past the golden doors to Paradise, The Duomo before meeting Leo back at our meeting spot for our walk back along dodgy footpaths back to our bus.

I think a lot of people were glad to be back at the hotel that night.  There were many complaints that night/next morning that the day had been too rushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment