Follow my blog

Wednesday 13 June 2012

Wandering around Mayfair


I think I have officially given up numbering days in London.  I think I have goofed somewhere.

Today I decided to head into Mayfair.  First up on my agenda was Heddon St just off Regent Street.  Here I saw the location of London’s first nightclub, #23 Heddon Street, where David Bowie was photographed for the cover of the Ziggy Stardust album (yes I had a moment here) and the vodka bar, the Ice Bar…. Which was rudely not opened for my arrival!

On my way to Savile Row I popped into a little café to have a bite to eat.  Turns out Paul Weller had eaten there (according to the photo on the wall.  Well good enough for the Modfather, good enough for Jaxbah.

Made it to Savile Row.  Here I saw the address for the fictional character Phileas Fogg and 3 Savile Row.  The rooftop where The Beatles played for the very last time.  I must admit I got a bit teary standing there.

Then wandered down past Burlington Arcade and into Cook Street where I visited the Hay Hill Gallery that had an installation called “The Great Wall of Vagina”.  Yes, self explanatory.  400 women made casts and the artist then did something with the texture of the casts and yeah made the exhibit.  It was interesting.  Though I’m still baffled as to why the woman said to me “just ask me if you have any questions” proceeded by a wink.  WTF was the wink all about?  I felt like I was in an episode of Seinfeld.

I then decided to wander down Old Bond Street.  The most intimidating street to walk down when you’re not made of money.  All the doormen on the doors of the likes of Chanel, Dior etc just looking at you like “don’t even think about it love…. As if you could afford anything here”.

Made it back down to Piccadilly, had a wander around there and around the back street of Jermyn Street before heading home on the #38 Hackney Central bus back to my hood.


No comments:

Post a Comment